ST and GF announce FD-SOI fab in Crolles

Paul van Gerven
Leestijd: 1 minuut

Confirming an earlier report, Globalfoundries and STMicroelectronics intend to construct a jointly-operated fab in Europe. The two parties signed a memorandum of understanding to construct a 300mm facility in Crolles, to be used mostly for manufacturing FD-SOI ICs. GF will produce about 58 percent of the targeted maximum capacity of 620,000 wafers per year, which is scheduled for 2026. ST will take ownership of the remaining 42 percent.

GF’s Dresden fab has been running a number of 22nm FD-SOI process variations for years, ST currently runs a 28nm FD-SOI process at its Crolles site. The press release mentions that the new fab will support ST’s roadmap towards 18nm FD-SOI, although smaller nodes might (eventually) be manufactured there as well. The two companies, along with wafer maker Soitec and research institute CEA-Leti, announced an R&D alliance in April to move FD-SOI technology to lower nodes.

ST and GF said that the fab will involve a multi-billion euro investment that “includes significant financial support from the State of France.” State-aid for first-of-a-kind semiconductor manufacturing operations in Europe is made possible by the European Chips Act, presented in February.

This article is exclusively available to premium members of Bits&Chips. Already a premium member? Please log in. Not yet a premium member? Become one and enjoy all the benefits.


Related content